Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hair Porosity

Can your locs of love hold on to the love you share???

In other words, all the moisture and loving we show our hair, why does she seem to hold it for a second and then throw it back???

Hair porosity is your hair's ability to retain and hold on to moisture. It can depend on a variety of things...genetics, your diet, and of course your hair history.

Hair history can consist of chemical relaxers, flat ironing, heat usage, chemcial coloring, bleaching, etc. The things that you have done since childhood that contribute to the health of your hair.

Hair porosity is considered normal (medium), high, or low.

There are a few tricks you can do to determine hair porosity.

Check this link from curlynikki.com that was posted today (August 21, 2012) by by NaturallyChelsea via NaturallyCurly...http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/08/how-to-moisturize-natural-hair.html

It's very helpful and after reading this specific post, I can definitely say my hair is HIGHLY POROUS!! smh.lol

This next section was taken directly from the post that I mentioned above...(dedicated for the fellow highly porous ladies)

"If you have high porosity hair, it probably has a difficult time holding onto moisture because of its raised cuticles that allow moisture to be lost to the atmosphere. In order to keep your tresses happy, apply heavy products to your hair in layers. Try applying a leave in, then a thick moisturizer then a heavy butter to seal all the moisture in. To keep your hair moisturized throughout the week, mix your favorite liquid moisturizer or leave in with water in a spray bottle with a few drops of oil and spray it on your hair at nights then seal with a butter.

To help close your cuticles temporarily to better hold onto moisture, try doing
apple cider vinegar rinses when you cleanse your hair. Apple cider vinegar is acidic and will temporarily help to close your cuticles. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water and pour it over your hair after cleansing it, then dry it and style as normal. You can also try adding more aloe vera gel or juice to your regimen."

Well, atleast my new growth is...but my relaxed ends are definitely damaged from heat & chemicals. I don't know if it's just a phase for my new growth..(scab hair perhaps)...(I hope this phase ends soon..) or if my hair will be naturally dry when its fully dry! :( hope not! Anyhoot!

Check the link and determine how porous your hair is.. I think when we assess our hair, we can figure out what we are lacking and therefore buy products based on what we need! :) That's just me!

I know my relaxed hair needs protein and moisture...could my new growth be opposite?? Hmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment